Friday, October 24, 2008

Slave narratives

We have been watching the slave narratives in my humanities class. Its crazy for me to hear the stories of these people and watch as society brushes our history under the rug as nothing more than a stain on Americas' retched past. That's what america wants. They want us to forget where we've come from. Disregard the trials of our past so we won't know what strength we hold. They bred us for our strength. We were held in captivity, separated from our families and they tried to break our spirits. And now they want to speak about equality? For over 100 years we were used, worked, disrespected, treated like animals, forced to be uneducated because we could bring the white man profit. They sold us. They killed us. They terrorized us. They beat us. They laughed at our beautiful dark skin; while they burned in the sunlight. Mocked our coarse thick hair as if we had something to be ashamed of. They raped our women and beat our young. And they talk about inhumanity. Now they wonder where our anger comes from and wonder why our young black men are so rambunctious. While rich white men talk about justice and rights they shack us up in shit holes. Forcing us to sleep on wire and grass cots in the harsh winter colds. How could someone do that? We are people too! I have arms, legs, hands and a brain just like the white man. I speak like the white man. I even have religion like the white man; i'm sitting here having a conversation with the white man but yet you still don't have a problem with beating me and forcing me into labor. Where is the justice in that? Where is the compassion? Where is the humanity??? You chain me and shackle me. You whip me raw. Sic your damn dogs on me. Spit on me. And try to force me to bend to your will. Hundreds of years you keep my people in these conditions. Yet you don't understand our discontent. You don't know where our anger comes from. You can't fathom why we would be so bent on exhibiting our brute force. Our freedom was proclaimed in 1865. Its 2008. And our black men are still enslaved. The racism is still alive. Ignorance and stereotypes are still being taught to each new generation. Hate is still being bred. We have our first black presidential candidate and these fucking rednecks can't get with the idea. They can't see how this biracial man can have the intellect to surpass any other WHITE man vying for presidency and become the forerunner of the democratic party. The more shit changes the more it stays the same. SHAME shame!

1 comment:

xmakeupdollx said...

i was reading something about obama the other day and some white person made a comment saying "hes not even black"...i had to pause for a second..i hope he wasnt serious.